Implementation Profile for Pratt Institute
Submitted on November 15, 2007; last updated on October 15, 2009
|Basic Carnegie Classification||Spec/Arts: Schools of art, music, and design|
|Community Setting||Large city|
|USDOE Climate Zone||5|
|Current President or Chancellor's Name||Thomas Schutte|
|Current President or Chancellor's Title||President|
|Main Web Site||http://www.pratt.edu|
|Sustainability Web Site||http://www.sustainablepratt.org/index.php|
|Implementation Liaison's Name||Tony Gelber|
|Implementation Liaison's Title||Director Administrative Sustainability|
|Implementation Liaison's Department||Administrative Sustainability|
|Format of Structure||Center- or Institute-Led|
|Number of Individuals in Structure||30|
|Stakeholder Groups Represented||Board, Faculty, Students, Executive, Staff, Alumni|
|Description||Faculty, students and staff created an internal group "Sustainable Pratt" which made recommendations to the president to create positions for a Director of Academic and a Director of Administrative Sustainability, for a Center for Sustainable Design and Research Studies and for the Development of a "Campus as a Living Lab". The suggestions were accepted and sustainability was formalized.|
1. Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
Yes: Our new 100,000 square foot facility will be LEED gold and we have a policy of low energy LEED silver equivalent for new construction and major renovations.
2. Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
Yes: We have implemented a policy for purchasing all energy star equipment and appliances where such a standard exists.
3. Establish a policy of offsetting all greenhouse gas emissions generated by air travel paid for by our institution.
Yes: Pratt is negotiating the purchase of carbon offstes for business air travel for the just completed 2008 greenhouse gas inventory.
4. Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
Yes: We are within 2 blocks of subway and bus lines at both campuses.We limit parking to people living less than 1.5 miles from campus. We have reduced campus parking availability and increased parking fees. We are promoting bicycling and have added a significant # of additional bike racks.
5. Within one year of signing this document, begin purchasing or producing at least 15% of our institution's electricity consumption from renewable sources.
For the 2007 inventory, we purchased 10,000 kw hrs of certified green electricity.
6. Establish a policy or a committee that supports climate and sustainability shareholder proposals at companies where our institution's endowment is invested.
Yes: We have submitted a policy to our Finance Committee which recommends that decisions be made in favor of positive climate change actions in our investments.
7. Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.
No: No information provided.