Implementation Profile for Catawba College
Submitted on November 4, 2008; last updated on March 28, 2012
|Basic Carnegie Classification||Bac/Diverse: Baccalaureate Colleges Diverse Fields|
|Community Setting||Urban fringe of large city|
|USDOE Climate Zone||7|
|Current President or Chancellor's Name||Brien Lewis|
|Current President or Chancellor's Title||President|
|Main Web Site||http://catawba.edu/|
|Sustainability Web Site||http://www.catawba.edu/recycle|
|Implementation Liaison's Name||Craig A Midgett|
|Implementation Liaison's Title||Fellow|
|Implementation Liaison's Department||Center for the Environment at Catawba College|
|Format of Structure||Committee|
|Number of Individuals in Structure||13|
|Stakeholder Groups Represented||Board, Community Leaders, Faculty, Students, Executive, Community Members, Staff, Alumni|
|Description||The sustainability committee was formed by the president of the college to further the campus understanding and to comply with the Presidential Climate Commitment.|
1. Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
No: All of our new construction must meet LEED Certification. We hope in time to be able to build toward LEED Silver.
2. Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
Yes: We have been doing this.
3. Establish a policy of offsetting all greenhouse gas emissions generated by air travel paid for by our institution.
No: Compliance with this item is under consideration by the board of trustees.
4. Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
Yes: We have three bus stops on campus for a six month trial basis begining October 13,2008 until May 08,2009. We will be meeting with City Transit officials throughout the trial. We hope to continue the bus route past the trial ending date.
5. Within one year of signing this document, begin purchasing or producing at least 15% of our institution's electricity consumption from renewable sources.
No: We already have 12 of our 25 buildings on Geo Thermal Heating and Cooling to save energy. One of our buildings has solar pannels that produces 30% of the buildings energy usage. The building with solar has been open since 2001 and we have been using geo thermal on campus since 1998. We continue as a college to continue searching for new ways to reduce our energy usage.
6. Establish a policy or a committee that supports climate and sustainability shareholder proposals at companies where our institution's endowment is invested.
No: This decision will have to be made by the board of trustees.
7. Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.
We have been recycling for many years but it was not until June of 2007 we set up the office of Waste Reduction and Recycling. One of the goals for this office is to participate in RecycleMania in the fall of 2009.