Implementation Profile for Confederation College
Submitted on July 9, 2008; last updated on July 18, 2011
|Basic Carnegie Classification||Not applicable|
|Location||Thunder Bay, ON|
|Community Setting||Mid-size city|
|USDOE Climate Zone||1|
|Current President or Chancellor's Name||Jim Madder|
|Current President or Chancellor's Title||President|
|Main Web Site||http://www.confederationc.on.ca/|
|Sustainability Web Site||http://www.confederationc.on.ca/sustainability|
|Implementation Liaison's Name||Ron Vopni|
|Implementation Liaison's Title||Director, Facilities Services|
|Implementation Liaison's Department||Facility Services|
|Format of Structure||Committee|
|Number of Individuals in Structure||11|
|Stakeholder Groups Represented||Faculty, Students, Executive, Community Members, Staff|
|Description||The College Planning Committee (CPC) approved the creation of a new Sustainability Advisor Committee (SAC) with members consisting of students, support staff, faculty, and administration with the VP Corporate Services in the role as chair. The committee will look at a policy and strategies to move the College's Green goals forward and comply with the ACUPPC Climate Commitment. The committe name and terms of reference will be established this fall.|
1. Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
Yes: We are in the process of reviewing and intend to establish policy. Currently REACH is being constructed to these standards.
2. Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
No: We have adopted this and are now adjusting purchasing policy.
3. Establish a policy of offsetting all greenhouse gas emissions generated by air travel paid for by our institution.
No: Will investigate.
4. Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
Yes: We encourage the use or public transportation. City transit has serveral routes stop on campus. Students are provided with a "Universal Bus Pass" that allows for free city wide transit during the school year.
5. Within one year of signing this document, begin purchasing or producing at least 15% of our institution's electricity consumption from renewable sources.
No: We are doing an indepth study with the intent to produce at least 15% or our electrical consumption from renewalable sources.
6. Establish a policy or a committee that supports climate and sustainability shareholder proposals at companies where our institution's endowment is invested.
7. Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.
We have an extensive recyle program on campus. Our audit shows waste reductions between 32 and 51% each year since the base year 1996.